I am a technical leader and software engineer with 25 years of
experience, with a particular focus on infrastructure scalability and
reliability, and on online payments.
- Currently employed by Spendesk as a
Staff Engineer in Paris, France; until mid-2022 I was working for
Airwallex, a FinTech company that
started in APAC, and for which I started the European software development
center in Amsterdam, focusing on building an online payment service
- Until 2020, Principal Developer & Fellow at
booking.com (highest rank in the
individual contributor ladder).
- Between 2017 and 2020 I have been leading the architecture and the
implementation of a scalable and flexible payment and financial platform,
encompassing world-wide online payments, regulatory compliance, accounting, and
invoicing. In this position I was part of the Payments Business Unit,
comprising about 180 engineers, working in close relation to the senior director
of technology and the senior director of product.
- On these topics I was also in charge of the alignment between technical
stakeholders and risk and compliance officers on such topics as change
management, SOx, PCI-DSS, PSD2, KYC, and information security.
- Before this assignment, I have initiated and led the creation of the Site
Reliability Engineering organisation in the Core Infrastructure department. I
have deep insights in what makes a software architecture resilient, and how to
organise incident response at scale.
- In 13 years at booking.com I have also been part of many other teams in
various roles, including senior individual contributor, product owner and
Back to consttype
- I focus on solving massive scalability issues, and know how to tackle
the challenges of explosive growth, from tenths to thousands of developers,
including technical, organisational, and business point of views.
- I operate by engaging continuously with multiple stakeholders
across the company, while staying up to date on all technological details in
order to connect engineering excellence and business knowledge.
- I strongly believe that relentless customer focus informed by excellent data
gathering and efficient cross-functional communication is the key to successful
delivery for engineering teams.
- As a leader, my approach is to empower and trust my teams, preferring
independence informed by a solid common vision over micro-management. As a
strategic thinker, I am able to define the vision and devise a pragmatic way to
get there. I am hands-on when needed and I am never satisfied by a status quo
that creates problems or roadblocks. As an avid learner, I have the conviction
that insights can come from anywhere and from anybody, and I strive to create
an atmosphere where feedback and challenging questions are encouraged.